Hilde and Bill Birnbaum Endowed Lecture on Benefiting Patients Through Health Research
The annual Birnbaum Endowed Lecture was established in 2000 to honor Group Health founders Hilde and Bill Birnbaum's long-term commitment to Group Health and their passion for using research to improve patient care.
In addition to the lecture, the event features the presentation of the annual Birnbaum Award, an honor that goes to a Group Health work team that has made extraordinary contributions to successful research at Group Health. Each year, Group Health Research Institute (GHRI) staff members nominate teams for this award. Winners are selected by GHRI scientific investigators.
2013 Birnbaum Lecture
Thursday, 25 April 2013
“Unlocking the power of research: How will America’s scientific enterprise address key challenges ahead for health care?”
Our guest panelists:
- Harvey Fineberg, MD, PhD, president of the Institute of Medicine, which advises the nation’s policy makers on health and medicine.
- Carolyn M. Clancy, MD, director of the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, which funds health services research aimed at care improvement for all Americans.
- Steven R. Hill, MBA, former director of the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and chair of the Robert Bree Collaborative, a consortium of public and private health care purchasers, insurers, and providers working together in Washington state on issues of variation in care and recommending quality improvement strategies.
Greg Simon, MD, MPH, senior investigator at Group Health Research Institute and a Group Health psychiatrist, will introduce the discussion.
Joanne Silberner, artist-in-residence at the University of Washington and former health policy correspondent for National Public Radio, will moderate.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Past lectures and awards
Speaker: Donald M. Berwick, MD, MPP
Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress
Former Administrator, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
"Paradise lost, Paradise deferred? The role of integrated health plans in today’s changing health care system."
Speaker: Robert Evans, PhD
Professor of Economics, Centre for Health Services and Policy Research, University of British Columbia
- Transcript of 2011 lecture (PDF, 251KB)
- View the 2011 lecture (1 hour)
- Group Health Oncology and Hematology Chief
Dr. Eric Chen
"Building Quality Care: A New Outlook for Humanity."
Speaker: Brent James, MD, MStat
Chief Quality Officer and Executive Director, Institute for Health Care Delivery Research, Intermountain Healthcare
- View the 2010 lecture slide presentation
- View the 2010 lecture (49 minutes)
"Prospects for National Health Care Reform."
Speaker: Mollyann Brodie, PhD
Vice President and Director of Public Opinion and Survey Research, Kaiser Family Foundation
- View the 2009 lecture slide presentation
- View the 2009 lecture (41 minutes)
Award: Group Health Clinical Pharmacists
"Hope or Hype: The
Science and Profit in
Speaker: Richard Deyo, MD, MPH
Kaiser Permanente Professor of Evidence-based Family Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University
- View the 2008 lecture (38 minutes)
- View the 2008 Panel Discussion (26 minutes)
- Medical Home team at the Group Health Factoria Medical Center
- Hugh Straley, MD
"Aligning the Forces of Health Care for Quality and Fairness for All."
Speaker: Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, MD
President of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Read a transcript of the lecture [ PDF 62KB ]
- Listen to audio of the lecture [ 50 minutes, MP3 46MB, WMA 23MB ]
Award: Group Health Cooperative's Northgate Medical Center Team #2
"With So Many Problems, Why Worry About Global Health?"
Speaker: William "Bill" H. Foege, MD, MPH
Senior Fellow at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Former Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Award: Group Health's Breast Cancer Screening Program
"Achieving a High-Performance Health System."
Speaker: Karen Davis, PhD
President of The Commonwealth Fund
Award: Group Health's Physical Therapy Department
"Transforming Health Care for Preventive Care Services: 30 Years of Learning/Projections for the Future."
Speaker: Robert "Tommy" Thompson, MD
Director Emeritus, Group Health Permanente Department of Preventive Care; Senior Investigator, Group Health Center for Health Studies
Award: Group Health's Central and Eastside Gastroenterology (GI) Teams
"The Center for Health Studies: Leading by Example."
Speaker: Eric Larson, MD, MPH
Director, Group Health Center for Health Studies
Award: Group Health's Information Systems Division
"Closing the Quality Chasm: The Transformation of Chronic-Illness Care Nationwide."
Speaker: Ed Wagner, MD, MPH
Director, MacColl Institute; Senior Investigator, Center for Health Studies
Award: Group Health's Breast Cancer Screening Program nurses
"Patients as Partners: Empowering Patients to Improve Health Outcomes."
Speaker: David Sobel, MD, MPH
Director of Patient Education and Health Promotion, Kaiser Permanente Northern California