Feature | Dec 2013
Few health conditions are as common and confounding as back pain, the second leading cause of all doctor visits.
“Primary care providers can usually help patients whose back pain is due to specific identifiable causes,” said Group Health Research Institute (GHRI) Senior Investigator Dan Cherkin, PhD. “But research shows that only 15 percent of back pain patients have this kind of pain.” The pain of the other 85 percent is due to non-specific causes—making it difficult for doctors to match. »
Karen Wernli, PhD, reported in JAMA Internal Medicine that nearly three times as many women are receiving breast MRI. But are they the women who can benefit most from it? »
The new cholesterol treatment guideline has received mixed reviews. Why did a Group Health physician-researcher and a frequent UW collaborator give it two thumbs up in JAMA? Find out—and explore a variety of new studies done at Group Health—in Science Highlights. »