News from the Institute
- CT scans—with radiation and cancer risk—rose in children. But ‘Image Gently’ could prevent many cancers—HMORN Cancer Research Network.
- Dr. Evette Ludman reflects on her career, her diagnosis, and the GHRI endowment. Read our research newsletter.
- Missing the mark on health reform? Research offers the antidote. Read Notes from Eric.
- Biennial mammograms best for ages 50-74, even with dense breasts. More benefit—and harm—from annual screening in 40s with extremely dense breasts, BCSC finds.
- Colon cancer screening doubles with new e-health record use. Group Health randomized trial in Annals of Internal Medicine shows cost saving.
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute announces two awards to Group Health. Projects part of PCORI’s effort to help patients make better-informed health decisions.
- National Summit on Opioid Safety. Learn about Group Health’s groundbreaking effort to prevent opioid abuse and overdose.
- GHRI becomes part of national Evidence‑based Practice Center. New EPC will conduct evidence reviews for programs such as AHRQ and Medicare.
- Introducing decision aids may lower surgery for arthritis. Knee and hip replacement and costs of care decline sharply at Group Health.